expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Friday 12 September 2014

Soi 19 Thai Wanton Mee - in Singapore

Date of visit: 28.07.2014



I was google-ing for Soi 19 Thai Wanton Mee at Pratunam Market (Bangkok).  Founded, but at the same time, discovered that there's also a Soi 19 Thai Wanton Mee in Singapore.

Not taking much attention to the local Soi 19 cos' I was about fly off to Bangkok.

SabX2 Pratunam Wanton Noodles
4/32-33 Soi Petchburi 19, Pratunam Bangkok Thailand
Tel: 66 2 653 9618
Opening Hours: 9am - 4pm daily
It's so famous that I believe it's already a MUST-EAT if one goes to Bangkok.

It's a simple and humble street food, "sauce-less" springy QQ noodles has a charm.  The taste wasn't wow but very unforgettable.
Pratunam Soi 19
It's like sometimes we just want plain porridge and braised peanuts (or AAA小菜心)  for a meal.  It's nothing fantastic but we absolutely love such comfort food.   You may read the rest of my Bangkok story HERE.

思思念念 thai wanton mee, but we are a distance apart....
and that was when I remembered there's a Soi 19 Thai Wanton Mee in Singapore.

Visiting this local version of Soi 19 was really difficult.

They open occasionally on Wednesdays, quite often on Thursdays, normally on Fridays to Sundays.  Most of the time, they are close from Mondays to Wednesdays.  In another words, they are close when I am free, open when I am working round the clock -___-

To make it even more difficult, their opening hours is from 8.00am to around 3.00pm only.
Rage face with saliva dripping, oh man...


Open certain days in a week, they update their operation days and time on their Facebook
www.facebook.com/pages/Soi-19-Thai-Wanton-Mee
 I strongly advise you guys to check their Facebook before dropping by, else you may risk a wasted trip.

This day, we managed to rush down at around 1.30pm.  Saw the snake queue, we knew we found it.
Soi 19 is inside a coffee shop within Ang Mo Kio neighbourhood.




The queue was more than half an hour before we gotten these on our table.
To "revenge" (吃报仇), we ordered 2 big bowls of wanton mee for each of us and a wanton soup to share.
Eat until burst lolxx...

Wanton Soup S$4.00
Soup was flavourful with fried garlic sprinkled on top, generous loads of chay sim and wantons sligtly bigger than the normal.

Thai wanton noodles (big) S$4
Huge roaster bowl (公鸡碗) of thai wanton mee overdosed with fried pork lard added in by hubby.  Every single day, he will tell me I am fat, but every single day, he will feed and feed me, I know I married the right guy lolxx...  Besides fried wanton and char siew that you can see from the pic, there's also 2 chunky pieces of chinese sausage.  Same as the authentic one in Bangkok, no sauce beneath, we add in chilli flakes and fish sauce.

 Springy QQ egg noodles bounced as I bite in and that send me back to Bangkok.

Both Soi 19 are not related but we can't help to compare them.

I would say, ours is an up-sized version of Bangkok's.  Bangkok's version is slightly drier and oiler.  Both noodles are equally good but I prefer the big wantons here ^.^

Missing Pratunam's wanton mee?  The closest taste we can get here is at ~


Soi 19 Thai Wanton Mee
151 Ang Mo Kio Ave 5
www.facebook.com/pages/Soi-19-Thai-Wanton-Mee



No comments:

Post a Comment