expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Wednesday 12 October 2016

Voluntary Mission at Siem Reap, Cambodia DAY 3 (Part 1)




This post is a continuation from HERE.



21.7.2016



Steung Siem Reap Hotel's buffet restaurant at 8am.

Not that the breakfast was not good, but I needed a change...

My Cambodian friend was slightly held up, which was a blessing in disgust.

I took a 20 mins tour into the local market.
All kinds of household items were sold here.  That includes this kind of hay or straw brown brooms which we hardly find in Singapore already.

I didn't know there's a wet market inside till I saw this.  My friend didn't tell me, cos' he didn't know a local wet market is a major attraction to me.

I realised that most vegetables were placed in basket, I suppose this will be easier for them to pack up at the end of the day.

I love watching the bustling market and getting so close to see how the locals really live.

As I walked on, the air became fishy and the floor got wetter and dirtier.

Here's a short clip where you can see fish still jumping lolxx...
I was very amused, the locals must be thinking this cheena is crazy, never see live fish before?  Ya lor, hardly see seriously >.<




Sellers literally sit on the stalls.

Over crowded tank of cat fish.


Chickens with stiff feet in the air kinda freaked me out.  Now I know why over in Singapore, chicken feet are stuffed into it's stomach >.<
This wet-market is located next to Pub Street.  From what I observed, the stalls would be half closed by 3pm and completely closed by dinner time.

After the interesting wet-market tour, I was on the road again!


It's less than an hour's ride to the jetty of Tonle Sap Lake.

The boat ride was about US18.00, I couldn't really remember.

My friend and I had the whole boat to ourselves, plus the driver of course.

There were life jackets as promised, all kiap at the ceiling.  Not sure how many of you know that I was nearly drowned to death in Thailand, so I was paranoid.

The part of Tonle Sap Lake that I visited was called Chong Khneas.
 It's the nearest to Siem Reap city, very touristed and too "modernized" for an explorer (buay pai seh, self-proclaim lolxx...).  I was so hoping to take lots of rustic rural photos but haiz......... There was a miscommunication somewhere with my local friend, so I guess I have to arrange another visit to other areas of Tonle Sap Lake again >.<

The lake water was dirty brown, couldn't see any fish.

An abandon ship on the shore which set my imagination wild:  how about turning it into a  entertaining haunt ghost ship or a restaurant in a ship?  Both generates good income from tourists le...... lolxx...


This was their supplier of drinking water.

Floating houses of Cambodian families.  I'll get endless lake sea sick if I stay in one >.<

This green little boat was a mobile cooked food stall.

This floating house belongs to Vietnamese.  They didn't manage to get permit to stay on land, so they stay on water.

There were more than half of the floating houses belonging to Vietnamese.  They can be easily identified with colorful triangle or stripy paintings at the roof.

And these floating house belongs to Cambodians.

Delivery speed boat, not sure what goods though.


This is a Vietnamese school.


Sapan food stall.

Surprised to find a floating Catholic church.

Moving towards the seemed centre of the lake.

From what I read, Tonle Sap is one of the largest fresh water lake in Asia though it really looks like sea here.  It's 16,000km2 during wet season but can shrink down to as small as 2,700km2.  Even at it's smallest, it's still a hundred times bigger than Singapore!
The depth is about 1m to 10m.  This enormous lake provides more than half the supply of seafood for the country.

Made a stop at a floating tourist shop.  Not that I fancy, but see look for the sake of see look -___-

Animal lovers don't judge please.....

Baby sleeping soundly totally not disturbed, that's the cutest thing I saw on board.

Dried crocodile meat, eewwwwwww.......

This part of the lake looked like a land flooded with water lolxx...

The 2 children on the boat were very very small, seemed to be making their way to one of the floating houses ahead.

Pic of floating village taken on the top deck of the tourist boat.



This was the viewing deck of the tourist boat that didn't even look like part of a boat at all lolxx..

Another part of the deck had crocodiles.

 It's fully fenced up, just that I pressed my lens on the fence then geniusly cropped away the metal fences, heehee....

We headed back to the jetty after this and the entire boat ride was about an hour.  With plenty of time to kill, we visited Wat Thmey (Killing Fields) where there's pagoda of skulls.  Later part of the afternoon, I had an "accidental discovery" of a shrine near my hotel.  I will make it another detail post as Part 2 sia.  I know this is so back dated, hate myself for being so inefficient, haiz.....  Actually I have to confess that I was busy with Pokemon Go, heehee...  Now that the maps are down, I finally able to sit down calmly and blog >.<  So yeah, Part 2 will be up soon!

Thank you for reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment